The Research Department of the IDB (RES) seeks Researcher Assistants.
Interested individuals should fill out the registration form before November 26th, 2010.
Apply online to this position in this link
Selected candidates will work with RES researchers and will perform the following functions:
• Assist researchers in the preparation of research papers, reports and presentations.
• Indentify, compile and organize databases.
• Perform econometric and statistical analyses.
• Prepare literature reviews.
• Participate in academic discussions on research findings.
• Undergraduate degree in Economics. Masters Degree in Economics (with strong quantitative background) preferred, in which case undergraduate degree may be in any field.
• Must be a recent graduate (not more than three years) from an accredited academic university.
• Experience in applied research at a recognized university or research center.
• Strong background in econometrics, mathematics and statistics. Experience in applied econometric methodologies.
• Experience econometric packages such as Stata, Matlab and/or Eviews. Advanced programming level preferred.
• Demonstrated experience in at least one of the following areas: (Candidates should specify for which of these areas they are applying)
• Research on microeconomic topics. Demonstrated experience in any of the following areas: development, labor, education, health, or public economics. Use of household and/or industry surveys in cross-section or panel formats. Experience with microeconometrics including preferably program evaluation, quasi-experimental and experimental methods. Some experience using LaTeX is also preferred.
• Research on macroeconomic topics. Demonstrated experience in any of the following areas: open macro and international finance, fiscal, growth and development. Experience in macroeconometrics including cointegration, dynamic panels, and panel cointegration is preferred.
• Research on climate change issues. Demonstrated experience in environmental, energy and/or natural resource economics, either through work experience or classes attended. Solid performance in Microeconomics at the graduate level could satisfy the experience requirement. Interest in climate change issues and challenges for the region; and use of STATA or MATLAB preferred.
• Initiative in research, ability to work independently and to participate in research teams.
• Strong analytical abilities as demonstrated by academic achievement and other personal achievements.
• Command of two of the Bank's official languages (Spanish, English, Portuguese and French).
• Prospects of engaging in doctoral-level studies.
• Experience in publications editing.
• Good knowledge of PowerPoint and Excel.
Payment and Conditions of Employment:
The work will be carried out at Bank headquarters in Washington D.C. Selected assistant researchers will be offered a contract for a period of twelve months, renewable up to a maximum of twelve additional months. Remuneration will be determined in accordance with Bank regulations and criteria. The Bank will additionally contribute toward travel and moving expenses. If a candidate is not a citizen or resident of the United States, the Bank will request a G-IV visa from the consulate of the United States in the candidate's country of origin. If a candidate cannot obtain a visa to work at the IDB the contractual offer will be rescinded.
Reference : Please supply:
I. Two academic references from your most recent place of study e.g. school, college or university
II. Two professional references from your present/recent employer (where applicable)
We will NOT normally request references on your behalf from your referees. It is your responsibility to ensure that all references are supplied in support of your application and must be submitted in your profile.
Note: Individuals with relatives working for the IDB within and including the fourth degree of consanguinity and the second degree of affinity are not eligible. This includes staff members and consultants. Candidates must be citizens of a member country of the Inter-American Development Bank.
• Closing date for applications: Friday, November 26th, 2010.
• Entry into the Department: Between January 16 and April 16, 2011.
For more information, please visit us at www.iadb.org/res
Apply online to this position in the following link: https://iadbcareers.taleo.net/careersection/external/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=16680